Advertisements

Dungeon Master Assistance

A place to share thoughts and ideas about Dungeons and Dragons

Gems for Dungeons and Dragons

Here is some information regarding D&D gems. I started with the official D&D information and expanded on it. I use this information in my games.

Gems1

Standard gems carried by adventurers are 1/4″ in diameter. They are carried in small leather or cloth bags tied securely with a string or leather strap. Unless your character is carrying an extremely large number of gems, their weight is insignificant and you do not have to keep track of it. The information listed here is provided for those rare occasions when your character may need to carry an exceptionally large gem or a very large number of gems.

In the real world, gem sizes do not determine weight. The density of gems varies from very light stones like opal to especially heavy stones like sphalerite or zircon. To keep it simple for D&D I am keeping the weight of all gems the same and only vary the value depending on gemstone type and size. The price per carat does not increase smoothly with increasing size. (One 4 carat gem is more valuable than four 1 carat gems.) To allow for larger stones in my game they don’t increase quite as fast as they do in the real world. I justify this by saying that larger stones are not as rare in my world.

All gems listed here are round faceted and have the same depth as their diameter making them roughly spherical (think 20 sided dice).

Size Weight Value Number of gems this size that will fit in one cubic foot of space
6″ Dia. (size of small human skull) 31,000 carats 14 lbs. Base value x 50,000 8
3″ Dia.(large fist size) 4,856 carats 2 lbs. Base value x 5,000 64
2″ Dia. (que ball size) 1,133 carats 1/2 lb. Base value x 1,000 216
1″ Dia. (Very Large – fits snugly into an empty eye-socket) 145 carats 0.064 lbs. (16 = 1 lb.) Base value x 100 1,728
1/2″ Dia. (Large – marble size) 18 carats 0.008 lbs (125 = 1 lb.) Base value x 10 13,824
1/4″ Dia. (Medium – standard size) 2 carats 0.001 lbs.(1,000 = 1 lb.) base value 110,592
1/8″ Dia. (Small) 0.3 carats 0.000125 lbs. (8,000 = 1 lb.) base value / 10 884,736

All gems weigh 110 lbs. per cubic foot (should you be so fortunate as to need to know this).

Gem Base Value
agateagate (banded, eye, or moss ) 10 gp
azuriteazurite
quartz - bluequartz (blue)
hematitehematite
citrinecitrine
ioliteiolite
jasperjasper
moonstonemoonstone
onyxonyx
peridotperidot
rock crystalrock crystal (clear quartz)
sardsard
sardonyxsardonyx
quartz rosequartz (rose, smoky, or star rose)
zirconzircon
amberamber 100 gp
amethystamethyst
chrysoberylchrysoberyl
coralcoral
garnet redgarnet (red or brown-green )
jadejade
pearlpearl (white, golden, pink, or silver )
spinel redspinel (red, red-brown or deep green)
tourmalinetourmaline
alexandritealexandrite 500 gp
aquamarineaquamarine
garnet violetgarnet (violet )
pearl blackpearl (black)
spinel deep bluespinel (deep blue)
topaz golden yellowtopaz (golden yellow )
emeraldemerald 1,000 gp
opalopal (white, black, or fire )
sapphire bluesapphire (blue)
corundumcorundum (fiery yellow or rich purple)
sapphire black starsapphire (blue or black star )
ruby starruby (star)
emerald bright greenemerald (clearest bright green) 5,000 gp
diamond blue-whitediamond (blue-white, canary, pink, brown, or blue)
jacinthjacinth

Here is very nice Gemstone Generator that gives you a random selection of gems based on the starting GP value selected. This is good for those times that the characters find a bag of gems:

Advertisements

17 responses to “Gems for Dungeons and Dragons

1. north face clearance November 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the pictures on this blog loading? I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zach Orzech February 4, 2015 at 9:38 am

This is fantastic! thanks for your hard work to put this together.

3. Pingback: D&D 5E – Character Sheet Instructions | Dungeon Master Assistance

4. Dean April 28, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for this very useful resource , I am a player and its great to visualize the gems I get from treasure and to change up my coins.

I shared it with my group and DM Thankyou for taking the time to put this together

5. bog97th September 24, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Reblogged this on Fantasy of the mind and commented:
    Trinkets

6. bog97th September 24, 2017 at 2:55 pm

The second link for the http://www.crgurps.comuv.com/content/gemstone-generator is broken. I just found your blog. I’m liking it! Thanks!

• Ronny September 25, 2017 at 8:36 am

Thank you for all of your rebloggs. It makes me happy that you like my stuff well enough to want to share it. Because of you, I received more likes on this blog yesterday than any other day.
      Thanks for letting me know about the broken link. That was a link to another site. I guess that the site has been taken down. I will remove the link.
      Thanks again, and may all of your dice come up 20’s.

7. Ferguse March 24, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Fantastic page, the table at the top is especially helpful.
    Only issue is 5e DMG lists peridot as a 500gp gem rather than a 50gp gem.
    Thanks!

• Ronny March 25, 2018 at 8:35 am

Thank you.
      If you notice, this was posted in 2012, before 5e came out. But, thank you for pointing this out. I do need to update it for the latest version.
      Ronny

8. Anonymous May 6, 2018 at 1:38 pm

this is great for gm’s to make treasure hoards, thanks

9. Talos Frostsilver August 10, 2018 at 3:43 pm

First, I would like to thank you for putting together an amazing DM/Player resource. As someone who has a passion for mineralogy, I am also greatly impressed with the accuracy of your photos and your explanation for the D&D simplification of the information. Historically, as a DM and as a player, I have relied on my knowledge of minerals and gemstones for game sessions. However, I also know how helpful it is to have a printed resource to provide players. With that said, I will be figuring out the best method of printing this page to hand out to all of my players present and future and you can be sure I will be giving credit where credit is due and directing them to your site as a resource for other content as well. The one bit of information that I would have liked to have seen included in this post is a valuation equation/conversion/model for raw natural versions vs. cut polished versions of gemstones. I only say this because this is the bit of information I was searching for when I found your post. Although, overall, this is one incredible piece of work.

• Ronny August 13, 2018 at 9:25 am

What a wonderful idea! Like you, I do not know of any resource that would provide a “valuation equation/conversion/model for raw natural versions vs. cut polished versions” but I would love to add that to this page if you can point me to one. Or, perhaps , if you come up with something that you can use in your game, you could share it. I will be glad to include it here if you do.

10. dragonblogger August 21, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Anyone who wants a free awesome Gem Generator that works in Excel and Google Sheets just let me know.