Join 533 other subscribers
Where anyone over 18 can share thoughts and ideas on RPGs.
D&D 5E – Mass Combat Rules
January 31, 2015Posted by on
Rules for conducting massive battles in D&D.
You can download a free copy here: D&D Wars 5E.pdf
This is a complete re-write of the rules I published before (3.5 version here) (Next version here). In keeping with the spirit of 5e, these are simpler and play faster than any of my previous attempts.
D&D Wars is a supplement to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons that provides a set of mass combat rules for conducting battles with units as small as one to armies numbering in the thousands. D&D Wars are not simply armies making battle with each other. It is armies intermixed with monsters and NPCs. Added to this mix is a group of PC heroes doing what they can to change the tide of the war.
– The rules are compatible with Dungeons and Dragons version 5E.
– There are rules for creating armies comprised of units of various sizes and compositions.
– It has consistent rules for scaling the battle from a small group of villagers with torches and pitchforks all the way up to epic battles with thousands of soldiers on both sides.
– The rules accommodate individual monsters wandering across the battlefield as well as other NPCs and PCs that are not part of the units.
– It uses standard combat rules without modification as far as possible.