Join 533 other subscribers
Where anyone over 18 can share thoughts and ideas on RPGs.
Tag Archives: dragon magazine
June 26, 2012Posted by on
The Dungeon Master’s Guide presents this optional rule as an alternative to spending XP on spells and magic items. Instead of using XP to power a spell, a spellcaster may substitute a special material component. These “power components” are rare and very valuable, and might even be a secret known only to a few spellcasters.
I wanted to use this option, because I never felt right about spending XP for anything other than their intended use in gaining levels. In a search for some recommended components, I ran across the best article ever printed regarding power components in Dragon Magazine #317 – March 2004 It was in an article called “Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog”. Here are the suggested components for spells and magic items from that article:
Power Components For Spell XP Costs
- Atonement (evil or neutral caster): The heart of a ghaele eladrin worth 2,500 gp.
- Atonement (good or neutral caster): The heart of an ice devil worth 2,500 gp.
- Awaken: The vital essence of any elder elemental worth 1,250 gp.
- Commune (evil or neutral caster): The tail of a lillend worth 500 gp.
- Commune (good or neutral caster): The lips of a succubus worth 500 gp.
- Gate: The powdered brain of a horned devil worth 5,000 gp.
- Limited wish: The rib cage of a devourer worth 1,500 gp.
- Miracle (evil or neutral caster): All of the roots of an elder treant* worth 25,000 gp.
- Miracle (good or neutral caster): The eyes of a black salad* worth 25,000 gp.
- Darkvision: The eyes of a nightwalker worth 5,000 gp.
- Detect magic: All of the wrappings of a mummy lord worth 5,000 gp.
- Gust of wind: The tongue of an adult white dragon worth 7,500 gp
- Magic fang, greater: The fangs of a very old black dragon worth 7,500 gp.
- Phase door: The head blade of an anaxim* worth 17,500 gp.
- Prismatic sphere: The powered skull of a young adult celestial prismatic dragon* worth 22,500 gp.
- See invisible: The eyes of any mature adult dragon worth 5,000 gp.
- Symbol of death: The skull of a winterwright worth 20,000 gp.
- Symbol of pain: The scalp of an evil cleric (20th level or higher) worth 12,500 gp.
- Planar ally: All of the hooves of a nightmare worth 1,250 gp.
- Planar ally, greater: The crushed claws (all) of a death salad worth 2,500 gp.
- Planar ally, lesser: The powered fangs of a red salad worth 500 gp.
- Restoration, greater: The horn of a unicorn worth 2,500 gp.
- Simulacrum: The head of a greater stone golem worth 5,000 gp.
- Vision: The faceted eyes of an umber hulk worth 500 gp.
- Wish: The heart of a wyrm gold dragon worth 25,000 gp.
*From the Epic Level Handbook
Power Components for Magic Item XP Costs
- Banded mail of luck: All of the chest scales from an adult bronze dragon worth 3.780 gp.
- Breastplate of command: The wings from a planetar angel worth 5,080 gp.
- Demon armor: The complete hide of a 21+HD horned devil (cornugon) worth 10,450 gp.
- Spined shield: The tail of a 16+HD fendish manticore worth 1,115 gp.
- Winged shield: All of the flight feathers of a 14+HH trumpet archon worth 3,450 gp.
- Dagger of venom: The cranial spine of a barbed devil (hamatula) worth 1,660 gp.
- Flame tongue: The tongue of an adult red dragon worth 4,145 gp.
- Holy avenger: The spine of a solar paladin angel (1st lvl or higher) worth 24,125 gp.
- Slaying arrow: All of the spines of a basilisk worth 455 gp.
Potions and Oils
- Cat’s grace: The tail of a krenshar worth 60 gp.
- Cure moderate wounds: All of the royal jelly from a giant bee hive worth 60 gp.
- Cure serious wounds: The adrenal gland of a lion worth 150 gp.
- Eagle’s splendor: All of the feathers from a half-celestial eagle worth 80 gp.
- Fly: All 4 hooves from a Pegasus worth 150 gp.
- Fox’s cunning: All of the scales from a nixie sprite worth 60 gp.
- Haste: All of the claws from the toes of a deinonycbus (dinosaur) worth 150 gp.
- Invisibility: The antennae from a grig sprite worth 60 gp.
- Owl’s wisdom: All of the scales (crushed) from a pseudodragon worth 60 gp.
- Rage: The stinger (powdered) from a giant wasp worth 150 gp.
There is a lot more information available in that article. Recommended reading for anyone considering this option.